Read about my return to EDC
(Original post was on iHeartRaves)
After taking a year off, I attended my 8th Electric Daisy Carnival. Which also happened to be the 20th Anniversary of the iconic festival hosted by Insomniac Events. I, like many seasoned ravers, have uttered the phrase: “This is going to be my last EDC”. And like the many, we have failed multiple of times to live that statement through.
Many things have inspired my return to my favorite festival: My travel partner returning home from her duty in the Peace Corps, the 20th birthday of EDC and my crews itching to return to Vegas and rage. These are just a few reasons, but do you really need a reason to go back to E. D. Mother Effin’ C!
View original post 1,293 more words
Something I wrote for my friend who was taken from this world too soon. RIP Andrew Chu
(Note: This is not a comedy piece. My friend Andrew, who was a genuine great person, was taken away from us too soon. He did not drink, do drugs, or have a hateful cell in his body. It’s a shame what happened. An accident. So be safe out there folks, and cherish the people around you. You never know what will happen. This is an open letter to the man who made me want to not only become a better Asian, but a better person of the world. I’m a man who does not know how to really handle feelings and writing is the only way I know how. Every time I try to talk to someone about Andrew, I can’t help but to fight off tears and sorrow. So I don’t speak at all. Instead, I write.)
I really don’t know how to start this, but I’m…
View original post 942 more words
I forgot to re-blog this from Xmas. Opps. Typical Airecisms
By Airec Sype.
Howdy y’all. It’s been some time since we both have posted on our blog but here we are today. We both have been working on various different projects and still have been writing on different platforms. So it’s sad that we have been neglecting our baby. I (Sype.) am posting on this site because my credit card that was funding the payment for A Dark Minded Giggle expired and it was gonna cost me about 100 bucks to buy back the domain name . . . yeah, f*ck that. So I’m using this.
Let me start off with MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! Whereas most families are spending their Xmas together, my dysfunctional but functional Asian family is spending it not together (I’m sure there is a better word for that). Any who, I’m sure we will all be together right before I leave.
View original post 216 more words
By: Koko and Airec
Welp, here we are again to tell the world that we’re getting older! During one of our frequent conversations about our aging bodies and our concerns of today’s youth, we realize again that time is still not on our side. So as we grow older (and hopefully wiser) we start to notice all the things we do differently, and the changes in the ways we view and navigate the world. This lead us to some realizations (again) that makes us a little more our age and young adult-ish.
So here is our continuation of Old People Things. We present to you, the long-awaited, part 2!
1. If 2 or more things must be remembered- you have to start a list
2. Personal property insurance
3. Planning what your children’s names will be
4. Having several bank accounts, all for different purposes
5. Your body has its own bedtime
6. A cup of coffee is a morning ritual
7. A ‘crazy Friday night’ means a bottle of wine and The Bachelorette (Airec is animes and sitcoms)
8. It takes 2 days to recover from 1 night of drinking
9. You wish you could still dial POPCORN to find out the accurate time so you can properly adjust your wrist watch
10. You wear a wrist watch
11. You’re old enough to know what POPCORN was
12. You always have Pedialyte in your fridge- ready and waiting
13. Thinking of how inappropriate a girl’s clubbing/festival attire is
14. Standing around awkwardly at an 18+ Club
15. Having Icy-Hot within arm distant
16. Thinking of names for your future pet and what kind
17. Tipping correctly
18. TUMS. So many TUMS.
19. Choosing to get a hotdog before heading home to cook over partying with a bunch of 21 year olds on a Thursday night
There it is, 19 ways we are older now. We both have felt the cruel wrath of time as our own bodies continues to break down. It doesn’t feel like it now, but you will get old someday; it’s just a sad fact of life. We’re sure that soon we’re gonna have another list of how we are entering adulthood. So watch out for that. There’s no denying that our party side is now slowing down and our ideas of fun are shifting. We just accept the fact that we’re old people now, but hey(!), we’re still cool!
Till next time, Koko and Airec.